Thursday, September 2, 2010

Milk Maker

 I Love Nursing. I am Comfortable Nursing in Public. It's So Convenient. It's Natural. It's Just You and your baby. It's the best excuse to stop everything and sit down. No One can Say, "Here, I'll Feed the Baby, You Go and ___________." It gives you a Real Sense of Accomplishment, Summed Up In The Words: 'I Make Milk! What's YOUR Super Power?'

But In the Beginning You Don't Feel that Way.

"Am I making Enough? Is the Baby Getting Enough? Is this Right? Is this Wrong? Why When I Pump Do I get SO Little?! Why Does it hurt So ______ Much!? "

 I've Learned that most Nursing Problems from Mastitis to Supply Issues to Discomfort Are solved With the same simple solution: Keep Nursing!

 Sit Down. Let Alone the Dishes, the laundry, that mess and those chores. And just let that baby at 'em! And stay that way! It is the most important thing you have to do and your only job after you have a baby. If you are feeling especially proficient you can even nurse 'in-motion' with the use of a sling or baby wrap! If you think the baby is just using you for comfort and 'not even eating' Chyeah! That's What it's For! That Baby is in a Big Scary World and Those Tatas Make that World go, "Ta ta!"

 Even when you have older children. You can still read and sing and interact with the older one whilst you nurse. If you rush your babies so you can have time for other things, you'll look back and wonder WHY? They already grow too fast. Everything else can wait. Savor Every Instant. And you have the best excuse. You are caring for your kids.

 While you are so busy tho, you will need a quick snack along with more than the usual amount of water to drink. Water is simple enough. Especially if you are reading this. If you have the internet but not running water you need to reevaluate your priorities. But I can Help With the Snack. The Ingredients WILL increase your Milk Supply. So Don't Be a Piggy and Make them your Meals all day cuz you will wake up engorged and that can be a pain. (Pun Intended.) Even then, that excess is good to Pump and Store for a Back Up Supply, or to add to the Milk Carton in the fridge when you're running low and cant get to the store. No one will know the difference! ;) Just Kidding (Kinda) And no, these cookies will not make your hubby lactate (Unfortunately) However you may want to hide the stash from him because, Hey you NEED Them and he doesn't! Here is the recipe:

* 1 cup butter (room temp)

* 1/2 cup sugar

* 1/2 cup brown sugar

* 4 tablespoons water

* 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal

* 2 large eggs

* 1 teaspoon vanilla

* 2 cups wheat flour

* 1 teaspoon baking soda

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 3 cups oats, thick cut if you can

* 1 cup of chocolate chips

* 2-3 tablespoons of brewers yeast* (be generous with this!!)

*Add M&Ms, Peanut Putter Chips, Coconut, raisins and Craisins and any other dried fruits and or goodies u like!

The flaxeed meal can be found at most health shops/stores, and the brewers yeast (most important ingredient!) HAS to be brewers yeast and no substitution.

Directions: Preheat oven at 375 degrees F. Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes. Cream (beat well) butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the butter/sugar mix. Mix until blended. Mix together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to butter mixture. Stir in oats then chips. Scoop or drop onto baking sheet.


---Bake 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies.

---Serves: 6 dozen cookies

---Preparation time: 15 minutes 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this recipe! I've looked over the directions a few times but I don't see where and when to add the brewers yeast? I have a severe case of mommy brain spp forgive me if I've over looked it. I make about half of the milk my 6wk old needs so I'm really looking forward to trying these cookies. Do you have any other suggestions on how to increase my supply? I'm taking fenugreek. Tried the tea, oatmeal and pumping after my son eats but it seems my supply has gone down since I started taking the fenugreek? I hope these cookies help so I can exclusively breast feed. Thanks again for posting. :-)

    ReplyDelete